BP to cap, then abandon, blown-out well
GULF OF MEXICO — BP says it will never again try to produce oil through a blown-out well that’s been gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for nearly a month.
The oil has been leaking since an offshore drilling rig exploded and sank off the coast of Louisiana last month.
BP has been trying a variety of techniques to suck up the oil ever since. One finally started this working this week, but it’s still only capturing a fraction of the oil.
BP PLC chief operating officer Doug Suttles says the company will never again try to produce oil through the well. He says the right thing to do is plug the well.
BP did not rule out the company drilling elsewhere to tap the same reservoir.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme