BP to cap, then abandon, blown-out well
GULF OF MEXICO — BP says it will never again try to produce oil through a blown-out well that’s been gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for nearly a month.
The oil has been leaking since an offshore drilling rig exploded and sank off the coast of Louisiana last month.
BP has been trying a variety of techniques to suck up the oil ever since. One finally started this working this week, but it’s still only capturing a fraction of the oil.
BP PLC chief operating officer Doug Suttles says the company will never again try to produce oil through the well. He says the right thing to do is plug the well.
BP did not rule out the company drilling elsewhere to tap the same reservoir.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Nullification and interposition
- Court rules in clinic dispute involving St. Dominic, HMA
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Commission eyeing unauthorized changes to historic structures
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district