Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars
by Associated Press
Published: May 21,2010
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is ordering U.S. agencies to work up national mileage and emissions standards for big work trucks for the first time, seeking to limit pollution from the large vehicles that contribute a disproportionate share of it.
In an event at the White House today Obama also ordered federal agencies that have already brought out new standards for cars and light trucks for the 2012-2016 model years to begin work on even stronger rules for 2017 and beyond.
With the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico underscoring the urgency of reducing U.S. dependence on fossil fuels, Obama said he would like to see vehicles 20 years from now run on half the fuel they do today and produce half the pollution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars”
Top Posts & Pages
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Judge to weigh Hood's credit card issuer lawsuit
- Blue Origin successfully tests BE-3 rocket engine
- Allain to lie in repose at Capital Friday; funeral Saturday in Natchez
- Northrop Grumman begins production of five NATO drones