Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars
Published: May 21,2010
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is ordering U.S. agencies to work up national mileage and emissions standards for big work trucks for the first time, seeking to limit pollution from the large vehicles that contribute a disproportionate share of it.
In an event at the White House today Obama also ordered federal agencies that have already brought out new standards for cars and light trucks for the 2012-2016 model years to begin work on even stronger rules for 2017 and beyond.
With the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico underscoring the urgency of reducing U.S. dependence on fossil fuels, Obama said he would like to see vehicles 20 years from now run on half the fuel they do today and produce half the pollution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force