Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars
Published: May 21,2010
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is ordering U.S. agencies to work up national mileage and emissions standards for big work trucks for the first time, seeking to limit pollution from the large vehicles that contribute a disproportionate share of it.
In an event at the White House today Obama also ordered federal agencies that have already brought out new standards for cars and light trucks for the 2012-2016 model years to begin work on even stronger rules for 2017 and beyond.
With the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico underscoring the urgency of reducing U.S. dependence on fossil fuels, Obama said he would like to see vehicles 20 years from now run on half the fuel they do today and produce half the pollution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Cochran continues to question EPA over new regulations
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19