Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars
Published: May 21,2010
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is ordering U.S. agencies to work up national mileage and emissions standards for big work trucks for the first time, seeking to limit pollution from the large vehicles that contribute a disproportionate share of it.
In an event at the White House today Obama also ordered federal agencies that have already brought out new standards for cars and light trucks for the 2012-2016 model years to begin work on even stronger rules for 2017 and beyond.
With the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico underscoring the urgency of reducing U.S. dependence on fossil fuels, Obama said he would like to see vehicles 20 years from now run on half the fuel they do today and produce half the pollution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015