Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars
Published: May 21,2010
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is ordering U.S. agencies to work up national mileage and emissions standards for big work trucks for the first time, seeking to limit pollution from the large vehicles that contribute a disproportionate share of it.
In an event at the White House today Obama also ordered federal agencies that have already brought out new standards for cars and light trucks for the 2012-2016 model years to begin work on even stronger rules for 2017 and beyond.
With the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico underscoring the urgency of reducing U.S. dependence on fossil fuels, Obama said he would like to see vehicles 20 years from now run on half the fuel they do today and produce half the pollution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars”
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey