Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars
Published: May 21,2010
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is ordering U.S. agencies to work up national mileage and emissions standards for big work trucks for the first time, seeking to limit pollution from the large vehicles that contribute a disproportionate share of it.
In an event at the White House today Obama also ordered federal agencies that have already brought out new standards for cars and light trucks for the 2012-2016 model years to begin work on even stronger rules for 2017 and beyond.
With the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico underscoring the urgency of reducing U.S. dependence on fossil fuels, Obama said he would like to see vehicles 20 years from now run on half the fuel they do today and produce half the pollution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars”
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love