Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars
by Associated Press
Published: May 21,2010
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is ordering U.S. agencies to work up national mileage and emissions standards for big work trucks for the first time, seeking to limit pollution from the large vehicles that contribute a disproportionate share of it.
In an event at the White House today Obama also ordered federal agencies that have already brought out new standards for cars and light trucks for the 2012-2016 model years to begin work on even stronger rules for 2017 and beyond.
With the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico underscoring the urgency of reducing U.S. dependence on fossil fuels, Obama said he would like to see vehicles 20 years from now run on half the fuel they do today and produce half the pollution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Obama calls for more gas-friendly trucks, cars”
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones