College Board names interim MUW president
Published: May 28,2010
COLUMBUS, Miss. (AP) — Allegra Brigham, CEO and general manager of 4-County Electric Power Association, has been named interim president at the Mississippi University for Women.
The state College Board made the decision Friday during a meeting on the Columbus campus.
Higher Education Commissioner Hank Bounds cited Brigham’s management and communication skills as contributing factors for her selection. Bounds described Brigham as business-savvy and with ties to MUW at a time when the struggling university needs her.
MUW President Claudia Limbert announced in October that she would retire at the end of June when her current contract ends. She had been at MUW since April 2002.
The College Board committee is in the process of searching for a new president at MUW, which has an enrollment of 2,478 students.
MEC President Blake Wilson said Brigham brings a broad business background to the university, especially in terms of marketing MUW.
“Dr. Limbert has done an outstanding job of building the academics at MUW. Allegra can come in and put an emphasis on finances and marketing,” Wilson said.
Brigham earned her bachelor’s and masters degrees from MUW. She was named to the post at 4-County in 2003 and has been with the electric cooperative for more than 20 years.
In February, Brigham was named to serve on the board of directors for the Memphis Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
Brigham also serves on the board of directors of the Mississippi Economic Council, as chairwoman of the Columbus-Lowndes Development LINK and vice chair of the North Mississippi Industrial Development Association.
Brigham previously worked as MUW’s director for public relations.
The MUW presidency is one of three that must be addressed by the College Board. The other two are at Alcorn State University and Jackson State University, where interim presidents have been named.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “College Board names interim MUW president”
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey