Hancock Fabrics records loss
BALDWYN — Hancock Fabrics Inc., for its first quarter ended May 1, 2010. saw net sales for the quarter were $63.1 million, compared to $64.1 million for first quarter of last year, and comparable store sales decreased 2 percent, compared to a 2.3% increase in the previous year.
Operating income was $17,000 in the quarter, compared to $600,000 in the first quarter last year.
Net loss was $1.3 million, or $0.07 per basic share, in the first quarter of fiscal 2010, compared to a loss of $900,000 million, or $0.05 per share in the first quarter of fiscal 2009.
Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter was $1.6 million, a decrease of $600,000 over the same period last fiscal year.
Jane Aggers, president and CEO, said, “While our results for the quarter were below our expectations, we made significant progress in remedying merchandising and inventory issues carried forward from last year. This resulted in a temporary impact on gross margins for the quarter. Store revenues began the quarter slowly but have steadily increased through the end of the quarter and this trend has continued into the second quarter.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Prescott leads field for Conerly Trophy as state's best football player
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment