Hancock Fabrics records loss
by Wally Northway
Published: June 1,2010
BALDWYN — Hancock Fabrics Inc., for its first quarter ended May 1, 2010. saw net sales for the quarter were $63.1 million, compared to $64.1 million for first quarter of last year, and comparable store sales decreased 2 percent, compared to a 2.3% increase in the previous year.
Operating income was $17,000 in the quarter, compared to $600,000 in the first quarter last year.
Net loss was $1.3 million, or $0.07 per basic share, in the first quarter of fiscal 2010, compared to a loss of $900,000 million, or $0.05 per share in the first quarter of fiscal 2009.
Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter was $1.6 million, a decrease of $600,000 over the same period last fiscal year.
Jane Aggers, president and CEO, said, “While our results for the quarter were below our expectations, we made significant progress in remedying merchandising and inventory issues carried forward from last year. This resulted in a temporary impact on gross margins for the quarter. Store revenues began the quarter slowly but have steadily increased through the end of the quarter and this trend has continued into the second quarter.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip