Hancock Fabrics records loss
by Wally Northway
Published: June 1,2010
BALDWYN — Hancock Fabrics Inc., for its first quarter ended May 1, 2010. saw net sales for the quarter were $63.1 million, compared to $64.1 million for first quarter of last year, and comparable store sales decreased 2 percent, compared to a 2.3% increase in the previous year.
Operating income was $17,000 in the quarter, compared to $600,000 in the first quarter last year.
Net loss was $1.3 million, or $0.07 per basic share, in the first quarter of fiscal 2010, compared to a loss of $900,000 million, or $0.05 per share in the first quarter of fiscal 2009.
Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter was $1.6 million, a decrease of $600,000 over the same period last fiscal year.
Jane Aggers, president and CEO, said, “While our results for the quarter were below our expectations, we made significant progress in remedying merchandising and inventory issues carried forward from last year. This resulted in a temporary impact on gross margins for the quarter. Store revenues began the quarter slowly but have steadily increased through the end of the quarter and this trend has continued into the second quarter.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi