Southern Motion unveils expansion
PONTOTOC — Officials from Southern Motion, a reclining furniture manufacturer, have announced the company is expanding its operations to accommodate an increase in production, and will construct a new 180,000-square-foot facility adjacent to its current operation in Pontotoc.
The expansion represents a company investment of $7 million and will create a minimum of 200 new jobs over the next two years, with the potential to create a total of 400 new jobs over the next five years. Southern Motion currently employs 701 workers with facilities covering 400,000 square feet.
“We are excited about our new expansion, which is a tribute to the dedication and hard work of the entire Southern Motion family,” said Roger Bland, Southern Motion president. “We have been very fortunate to grow our business in Mississippi, and our latest expansion will allow us to continue our commitment to manufacturing quality, American-made motion furniture.”
In early 2010, Southern Motion officials announced an expansion, which added 70 new jobs and new manufacturing lines at the Pontotoc facility. The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) certified the company for the 70 jobs through the Existing Manufacturers Job Rebate Program. Previously, in early 2009, the company underwent an expansion, which added 65 new jobs, new lines and new equipment. For that expansion, MDA provided workforce training assistance and guidance regarding state tax incentives available to the company.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Venture Tech merges with ISC, acquires SAT
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Community Bank names new officers
- Southern Bancorp to acquire Bank of Bolivar County
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams