Shrimp season opening early, could close quickly
Published: June 2,2010
GULF OF MEXICO — Mississippi’s shrimp season in territorial waters west of the East Biloxi ship channel is scheduled to open at 6 a.m. tomorrow.
Officials with the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources say the waters may close on short notice if it is detected that oil is moving into the open area.
Agency director Bill Walker says shrimp season is opening about 10 days early.
Walker says the shrimp that officials have sampled show no signs of oil contamination.
He says his agency and the state Department of Health agreed that shrimp from Mississippi waters are safe to eat.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Regions must pay $7.5 million in fines over illegal overdraft fees
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings attorney Alan Perry takes office as IHL board president
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippian Glenn McCullough Jr. gets nod as new MDA chief
- DAVID DALLAS: Getting a grip on LGBT issues
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Top 40 Under 40
- Governor signs fracking bill as database comes under scrutiny