Shrimp season opening early, could close quickly
Published: June 2,2010
GULF OF MEXICO — Mississippi’s shrimp season in territorial waters west of the East Biloxi ship channel is scheduled to open at 6 a.m. tomorrow.
Officials with the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources say the waters may close on short notice if it is detected that oil is moving into the open area.
Agency director Bill Walker says shrimp season is opening about 10 days early.
Walker says the shrimp that officials have sampled show no signs of oil contamination.
He says his agency and the state Department of Health agreed that shrimp from Mississippi waters are safe to eat.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force