Shrimp season opening early, could close quickly
Published: June 2,2010
GULF OF MEXICO — Mississippi’s shrimp season in territorial waters west of the East Biloxi ship channel is scheduled to open at 6 a.m. tomorrow.
Officials with the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources say the waters may close on short notice if it is detected that oil is moving into the open area.
Agency director Bill Walker says shrimp season is opening about 10 days early.
Walker says the shrimp that officials have sampled show no signs of oil contamination.
He says his agency and the state Department of Health agreed that shrimp from Mississippi waters are safe to eat.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015