Shrimp season opening early, could close quickly
by Associated Press
Published: June 2,2010
GULF OF MEXICO — Mississippi’s shrimp season in territorial waters west of the East Biloxi ship channel is scheduled to open at 6 a.m. tomorrow.
Officials with the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources say the waters may close on short notice if it is detected that oil is moving into the open area.
Agency director Bill Walker says shrimp season is opening about 10 days early.
Walker says the shrimp that officials have sampled show no signs of oil contamination.
He says his agency and the state Department of Health agreed that shrimp from Mississippi waters are safe to eat.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Nullification and interposition
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Airport's food irradiation business could create new jobs
- In wake of bond issue failure, golf course fights to stay playable