Shrimp season opening early, could close quickly
by Associated Press
Published: June 2,2010
GULF OF MEXICO — Mississippi’s shrimp season in territorial waters west of the East Biloxi ship channel is scheduled to open at 6 a.m. tomorrow.
Officials with the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources say the waters may close on short notice if it is detected that oil is moving into the open area.
Agency director Bill Walker says shrimp season is opening about 10 days early.
Walker says the shrimp that officials have sampled show no signs of oil contamination.
He says his agency and the state Department of Health agreed that shrimp from Mississippi waters are safe to eat.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign