Brigham named interim MUW president
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 6,2010
The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) voted to appoint Allegra Brigham, 4-County Electric Power Association CEO and general manager, as interim president of the Mississippi University for Women (MUW).
Dr. Claudia Limbert announced late last year that she would retire and step down as MUW’s 13th president in June when her current contract ends.
Brigham became CEO of 4-County, an electric cooperative serving 45,500 members in eight counties in Northeast Mississippi, in March 2003. She is the first female in Mississippi co-op history to hold the position.
Brigham began her professional career as a high school teacher, moving into journalism after four years in the classroom. She worked as a reporter and editor at The Commercial Dispatch in Columbus.
Brigham, former MUW director of public relations, has also taught as an assistant professor of journalism at the university.
Brigham currently serves on the board of directors of the Mississippi Economic Council and the Columbus-Lowndes Development Link. She is also a member of the Federal Reserve Bank, Memphis Branch board.
Brigham and her husband, Bill, are the parents of two daughters and have five grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point