Keeping Our Eye On: Donnie Lindsey
by Don Smith
Published: June 6,2010
Education: B.S. in exercise science (University of Southern Mississippi),
master of education in college student personnel (University of Southern Mississippi)
Current Position: Academic counselor at Hinds Community College
When working toward his undergraduate degree, Donnie Lindsey’s main goal was to become a physical therapist. After graduating from Southern Miss, however, Lindsey found himself working as a recruiter for Hinds Community College. The experience influenced Lindsey to go in a slightly different direction – higher education.
After going back to Southern Miss for his master’s degree, Lindsey took a new position at Hinds as an academic advisor, a job he finds very rewarding. “I have the opportunity to work with a variety of folks. I enjoy advising students and helping them to obtain their educational goals,” says Lindsey. “Though I typically see students at the beginning of the semester and that’s it, several come back to visit and let me know how well they are doing and thank me for the guidance I provided them. This type of feedback is very gratifying. I don’t consider my job as “work” but more an opportunity to have a positive influence on others.”
An avid fitness enthusiast, Lindsey also participates in 5K runs benefitting organizations like Jackson Heart Clinic, Jackson Pulmonary Associates and St. Dominic’s Hospital. He has also participated in Toys for Tots and local charity groups.
Must-have Mississippi Food: Jerry’s Fish House in Florence. With Mississippi being the “Catfish Capitol of the World”, Jerry’s Fish House is a must have for visitors and locals.
Favorite Hangout: The Endzone in Hattiesburg, MS. Filled with Brett Favre, Ray Guy, and Reggie Collier paraphernalia as well as Southern Miss traditions, the atmosphere is a great place to meet up with friends.
Favorite Television Show: “The Office”
Favorite Movie: “Forrest Gump”
Favorite Musical Artist: “The King” Elvis Presley
Best Role Model: That’s easy, Brett Favre. Although going on 41 and still active in the NFL, Brett Favre holds the record for most wins, most consecutive starts, most passing yards, most pass completions, and the list goes on and on. The man is a role model for all ages of folks. He works hard every day and appreciates where he comes from.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Keeping Our Eye On: Donnie Lindsey”
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Court hits David Watkins with $600,000 order over Retro Metro issues