Supervisors ask AG for ruling on tax issue
GREENWOOD — Leflore County supervisors have asked the attorney general whether a home health agency owned by Sunflower County should have to pay property taxes in Leflore County.
Sandra Britt of the North Sunflower Medical Center in Ruleville asked the board June 7 for an exemption for North Sunflower Home Health Agency, which is owned by the hospital.
Britt says its office in Greenwood is an extension of the Sunflower County government and thus is exempt from property taxes.
Britt says 10 other counties the agency operates in give it an exemption. The agency’s tax bill is about $318 annually.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that board attorney Joyce Chiles told supervisors that she does not believe North Sunflower qualifies for an exemption.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015