Health insurance costs exceed $2 per hour
by Wally Northway
Published: June 15,2010
In March 2010, the average cost for health insurance benefits was $2.08 per hour worked in private industry.
Among occupational groups, employer costs for health insurance benefits ranged from 92 cents per hour for service workers, to $3.03 per hour for management, professional, and related occupations.
In March 2010, among other occupational groups, employer costs for health benefits averaged $1.87 per hour worked for sales and office occupations, lower than $2.49 per hour for natural resources, construction and maintenance occupations, and $2.34 per hour for production, transportation and material moving occupations.
Employer costs for health insurance benefits were significantly higher for union workers, averaging $4.38 per hour worked, than for non-union workers, averaging $1.82 per hour.
In goods-producing industries, health insurance benefit costs were higher, at $2.88 per hour worked, than in service-providing industries, at $1.92 per hour.
Among the four regions, costs for health insurance benefits ranged from $1.78 per hour worked in the South to $2.40 per hour in the Northeast. Health care costs were $2.21 per hour in the Midwest and $2.11 per hour in the West.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
7 Responses to “Health insurance costs exceed $2 per hour”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip