USM’s Accelerator off to fast start
Published: June 15,2010
HATTIESBURG — Just three months after opening its doors, the University of Southern Mississippi’s (USM’s) business incubator – called The Accelerator – is operating in high gear.
Officially labeled The National Materials Science Innovation and Commercialization Accelerator, the new venture became the first facility to open in The Garden, the university’s Innovation and Commercialization Park, back in March of this year. At 60,000 square feet, The Accelerator provides space, technology and professional advice for start-up companies.
Sunny Corral, executive director of The Accelerator, said the incubator’s fast-paced start represents an encouraging sign to the business climate in South Mississippi.
“Despite the current economy, after only three months of operation, The Accelerator’s incubator space is at more than 60 percent capacity,” said Corral. “This clearly indicates that the need to connect early-stage science companies with resources existed in Hattiesburg and in Mississippi.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Fair cabins becoming more valuable, sources say
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Cal-Maine strikes joint venture deal with Arizona company
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau