USM’s Accelerator off to fast start
Published: June 15,2010
HATTIESBURG — Just three months after opening its doors, the University of Southern Mississippi’s (USM’s) business incubator – called The Accelerator – is operating in high gear.
Officially labeled The National Materials Science Innovation and Commercialization Accelerator, the new venture became the first facility to open in The Garden, the university’s Innovation and Commercialization Park, back in March of this year. At 60,000 square feet, The Accelerator provides space, technology and professional advice for start-up companies.
Sunny Corral, executive director of The Accelerator, said the incubator’s fast-paced start represents an encouraging sign to the business climate in South Mississippi.
“Despite the current economy, after only three months of operation, The Accelerator’s incubator space is at more than 60 percent capacity,” said Corral. “This clearly indicates that the need to connect early-stage science companies with resources existed in Hattiesburg and in Mississippi.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Ford Foundation gives to UM for new science building
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete