USM’s Accelerator off to fast start
Published: June 15,2010
HATTIESBURG — Just three months after opening its doors, the University of Southern Mississippi’s (USM’s) business incubator – called The Accelerator – is operating in high gear.
Officially labeled The National Materials Science Innovation and Commercialization Accelerator, the new venture became the first facility to open in The Garden, the university’s Innovation and Commercialization Park, back in March of this year. At 60,000 square feet, The Accelerator provides space, technology and professional advice for start-up companies.
Sunny Corral, executive director of The Accelerator, said the incubator’s fast-paced start represents an encouraging sign to the business climate in South Mississippi.
“Despite the current economy, after only three months of operation, The Accelerator’s incubator space is at more than 60 percent capacity,” said Corral. “This clearly indicates that the need to connect early-stage science companies with resources existed in Hattiesburg and in Mississippi.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports