Toyota resumes prepping for Blue Springs plant
Published: June 17,2010
Tags: automobile industry, Barbara McDaniel, Blue Springs, California, Corolla, manufacturing, Northeast Mississippi, Prius hybrid, Randy Kelley, Three Rivers Planning and Development District, Toyota
After about 18 months in recession-imposed limbo, Toyota announced this morning that it is resuming preparations to open its facility in Blue Springs.
According to a press release, Toyota hopes to have the plant, which was announced in February 2007 but put on hold indefinitely a year and a half ago, operational in the fall of 2011.
It will not produce the Prius hybrid. Instead, the plant will produce the compact Corolla, and will have the capacity to make 150,000 of them per year, said Toyota spokesperson, Barbara McDaniel.
Blue Springs was originally scheduled to open this year, but the company announced in late 2008 that it was suspending those plans indefinitely as the global recession crushed the automotive market. Toyota maintained for those 18 months that it had no plans to abandon Blue Springs and would eventually open it, bringing 2,000 jobs to Northeast Mississippi.
“Now that things have seemingly turned the corner we want to get back on track,” McDaniel said. “It was always just a temporary hold.”
McDaniel said that since the facility will build the Corolla and not the Prius, the plant can open more quickly since the Corolla was built in the U.S. before at Toyota’s plant in Northern California that was a joint venture with General Motors. Toyota shuttered the plant when GM had to pull out of it as part of its bankruptcy filing and subsequent government rescue.
Randy Kelley heads the Three Rivers Planning and Development District, which oversaw the construction of the facility.
“I’m doing wonderful,” Kelley said when he answered his cell phone Thursday morning. Kelley said Toyota never tried to crawfish on its commitment to get Blue Springs up and running.
“They have been so solid as far as doing what they said they were going to,” he said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Toyota resumes prepping for Blue Springs plant”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager