MDEQ offering oil spill web page
Published: June 22,2010
JACKSON — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) is offering a new page on its website that provides data and information that are being collected in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
This map application was developed to provide the public access to the most current information available. The map is updated regularly and can be accessed at opcgis.deq.state.ms.us/oilspillmap/ and on the MDEQ’s oil spill response page: http://www.deq.state.ms.us/oilspill.
“We believe this new webpage will be extremely useful for our citizens concerned about the condition of our state’s waters. The MDEQ staff has been working diligently to assure that our natural resources are being protected and that we have the most up-to-date sampling results. We want to share that data with the public, and we encourage people to contact our office if they have questions about the information,” said Trudy Fisher,
MDEQ executive director.
Locations where MDEQ and its partners have collected samples, as a result of different oil spill response activities, are displayed in the map application along with sampling results. The information represented in the web map was collected from sentinel sampling sites, which are monitored on a routine schedule, from complaint investigations, and also from air and water reconnaissance activities. Water, sediment and/or biological tissue samples were collected at these sites and analyzed for constituents related to oil. Sentinel sampling sites are situated along the Mississippi Gulf Coast to check the water in the passes for the intrusion of oil into the Mississippi Sound.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “MDEQ offering oil spill web page”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- BLAKE WILSON: Danny Mitchell was a remarkable business leader, a better friend
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail