MDEQ offering oil spill web page
Published: June 22,2010
JACKSON — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) is offering a new page on its website that provides data and information that are being collected in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
This map application was developed to provide the public access to the most current information available. The map is updated regularly and can be accessed at opcgis.deq.state.ms.us/oilspillmap/ and on the MDEQ’s oil spill response page: http://www.deq.state.ms.us/oilspill.
“We believe this new webpage will be extremely useful for our citizens concerned about the condition of our state’s waters. The MDEQ staff has been working diligently to assure that our natural resources are being protected and that we have the most up-to-date sampling results. We want to share that data with the public, and we encourage people to contact our office if they have questions about the information,” said Trudy Fisher,
MDEQ executive director.
Locations where MDEQ and its partners have collected samples, as a result of different oil spill response activities, are displayed in the map application along with sampling results. The information represented in the web map was collected from sentinel sampling sites, which are monitored on a routine schedule, from complaint investigations, and also from air and water reconnaissance activities. Water, sediment and/or biological tissue samples were collected at these sites and analyzed for constituents related to oil. Sentinel sampling sites are situated along the Mississippi Gulf Coast to check the water in the passes for the intrusion of oil into the Mississippi Sound.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “MDEQ offering oil spill web page”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project