Omega Protein to build processing facility on Coast
MOSS POINT — Omega Protein Corporation will build and operate a shrimp hull processing facility at its Moss Point facility. The cost of the project was not disclosed.
The company plans to install and operate shrimp hull processing equipment and then process shrimp hulls at its facility into high quality marine ingredients. The shrimp hull raw material will be provided for no cost by Mississippi shrimp processors who will be able to conveniently process those hulls at Omega Protein’s facility without fees, rather than pay disposal fees to third-party landfills.
Construction on the project is expected to commence later in 2010, and the project is anticipated to be completed in 2011.
“This project helps to provide an environmentally friendly solution for Mississippi’s shrimp processors,” said Omega chairman and CEO Joe von Rosenberg. “The project will provide significant benefits for Mississippi Gulf Coast communities and illustrates how two industries can both benefit when working together cooperatively.”
In 2000 and again in 2009, Houston, Texas-based Omega donated former vessels from its fishing fleet to the Mississippi Gulf Fishing Banks to be used as artificial reefs for recreational fishing. The company has been a part of the Jackson County community for more than 50 years and currently employs more than 300 Mississippi residents.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet