Omega Protein to build processing facility on Coast
by Wally Northway
Published: June 28,2010
MOSS POINT — Omega Protein Corporation will build and operate a shrimp hull processing facility at its Moss Point facility. The cost of the project was not disclosed.
The company plans to install and operate shrimp hull processing equipment and then process shrimp hulls at its facility into high quality marine ingredients. The shrimp hull raw material will be provided for no cost by Mississippi shrimp processors who will be able to conveniently process those hulls at Omega Protein’s facility without fees, rather than pay disposal fees to third-party landfills.
Construction on the project is expected to commence later in 2010, and the project is anticipated to be completed in 2011.
“This project helps to provide an environmentally friendly solution for Mississippi’s shrimp processors,” said Omega chairman and CEO Joe von Rosenberg. “The project will provide significant benefits for Mississippi Gulf Coast communities and illustrates how two industries can both benefit when working together cooperatively.”
In 2000 and again in 2009, Houston, Texas-based Omega donated former vessels from its fishing fleet to the Mississippi Gulf Fishing Banks to be used as artificial reefs for recreational fishing. The company has been a part of the Jackson County community for more than 50 years and currently employs more than 300 Mississippi residents.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Airport's food irradiation business could create new jobs
- In wake of bond issue failure, golf course fights to stay playable
- Nullification and interposition
- Ag officials say late planting reaching historical proportions