Omega Protein to build processing facility on Coast
MOSS POINT — Omega Protein Corporation will build and operate a shrimp hull processing facility at its Moss Point facility. The cost of the project was not disclosed.
The company plans to install and operate shrimp hull processing equipment and then process shrimp hulls at its facility into high quality marine ingredients. The shrimp hull raw material will be provided for no cost by Mississippi shrimp processors who will be able to conveniently process those hulls at Omega Protein’s facility without fees, rather than pay disposal fees to third-party landfills.
Construction on the project is expected to commence later in 2010, and the project is anticipated to be completed in 2011.
“This project helps to provide an environmentally friendly solution for Mississippi’s shrimp processors,” said Omega chairman and CEO Joe von Rosenberg. “The project will provide significant benefits for Mississippi Gulf Coast communities and illustrates how two industries can both benefit when working together cooperatively.”
In 2000 and again in 2009, Houston, Texas-based Omega donated former vessels from its fishing fleet to the Mississippi Gulf Fishing Banks to be used as artificial reefs for recreational fishing. The company has been a part of the Jackson County community for more than 50 years and currently employs more than 300 Mississippi residents.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders