Omega Protein to build processing facility on Coast
MOSS POINT — Omega Protein Corporation will build and operate a shrimp hull processing facility at its Moss Point facility. The cost of the project was not disclosed.
The company plans to install and operate shrimp hull processing equipment and then process shrimp hulls at its facility into high quality marine ingredients. The shrimp hull raw material will be provided for no cost by Mississippi shrimp processors who will be able to conveniently process those hulls at Omega Protein’s facility without fees, rather than pay disposal fees to third-party landfills.
Construction on the project is expected to commence later in 2010, and the project is anticipated to be completed in 2011.
“This project helps to provide an environmentally friendly solution for Mississippi’s shrimp processors,” said Omega chairman and CEO Joe von Rosenberg. “The project will provide significant benefits for Mississippi Gulf Coast communities and illustrates how two industries can both benefit when working together cooperatively.”
In 2000 and again in 2009, Houston, Texas-based Omega donated former vessels from its fishing fleet to the Mississippi Gulf Fishing Banks to be used as artificial reefs for recreational fishing. The company has been a part of the Jackson County community for more than 50 years and currently employs more than 300 Mississippi residents.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter