Omega Protein to build processing facility on Coast
MOSS POINT — Omega Protein Corporation will build and operate a shrimp hull processing facility at its Moss Point facility. The cost of the project was not disclosed.
The company plans to install and operate shrimp hull processing equipment and then process shrimp hulls at its facility into high quality marine ingredients. The shrimp hull raw material will be provided for no cost by Mississippi shrimp processors who will be able to conveniently process those hulls at Omega Protein’s facility without fees, rather than pay disposal fees to third-party landfills.
Construction on the project is expected to commence later in 2010, and the project is anticipated to be completed in 2011.
“This project helps to provide an environmentally friendly solution for Mississippi’s shrimp processors,” said Omega chairman and CEO Joe von Rosenberg. “The project will provide significant benefits for Mississippi Gulf Coast communities and illustrates how two industries can both benefit when working together cooperatively.”
In 2000 and again in 2009, Houston, Texas-based Omega donated former vessels from its fishing fleet to the Mississippi Gulf Fishing Banks to be used as artificial reefs for recreational fishing. The company has been a part of the Jackson County community for more than 50 years and currently employs more than 300 Mississippi residents.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force