Man indicted for 16th Section timber theft
PICAYUNE — A Pearl River County grand jury has indicted Harold E. Simmons on three counts of timber theft.
The Secretary of State’s Office says Simmons had access to timber on 16th Section land after winning a bid to cut the timber for two of the county’s school districts.
He is accused of taking about $375,000 worth of unreported timber from the Poplarville and Pearl River County school districts.
Simmons was indicted June 25. A trial date is pending.
Simmons was arrested in April.
The Secretary of State’s Office says the timber was taken from three separate locations between the two school districts.
If convicted, Simmons could face up to 15 years of imprisonment and $15,000 in fines, according to the secretary of state.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson