Worthington expanding New Albany plant
NEW ALBANY — Officials from Worthington Cylinders, a Worthington Industries company and a global supplier of pressure tanks and pressure cylinders, is expanding operations at its facility in New Albany.
The expansion represents a company investment of more than $11 million and will create 80 new jobs over the next five years; 30 of those jobs will be added this year. Currently, the New Albany facility employs 165 workers.
In June 2009, Worthington acquired Piper Metal Forming of New Albany. The company recently acquired Virginia-based Hy-Mark Cylinders and will be relocating Hy-Mark’s physical assets to its New Albany facility, where it will be increasing production of existing products and adding new product lines.
“We made a significant investment in New Albany with the Piper acquisition last year, and we are making a very substantial additional commitment now,” said Harry Goussetis, president of Worthington Cylinders. “We are committed to growing our business, and this additional investment will expand our existing medical cylinder product line and will also add new products such as scuba tanks and cylinders for carbon dioxide used in beverage service applications.”
The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) worked with company and local officials to help facilitate the expansion using Momentum Mississippi incentives. The state also provided workforce training assistance to the company.
Worthington Cylinders is a division of Worthington Industries, a diversified metals manufacturing company that employs 6,400 workers in 64 facilities in 11 countries. Worthington Cylinders, headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, is the world’s leading global supplier of pressure cylinders. With 10 facilities in the U.S., Canada and Europe, Worthington Cylinders offers a complete line of pressure cylinders in the industry,. Balloon Time and Worthington Pro Grade products are available at retailers nationwide and provide consumers products for grilling, party planning, outdoor leisure activities and home repair.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom