Community college receives grant for job training
by Wally Northway
Published: July 1,2010
DECATUR — Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) announced a $1.77-million federal grant to support a plan by the East Central Community College (ECCC) at Decatur to expand its job training outreach in five rural Mississippi counties.
The Community-Based Job Training Grant issued by the U.S. Department of Labor is intended to increase ECCC job training capabilities in Leake, Neshoba, Newton, Scott and Winston counties, with a focus on training for advanced manufacturing, healthcare and information technology.
ECCC will apply the grant funding to its “Connecting College with Your Community” project, which involves expanding distance learning technologies to provide job skills training. The college intends to use the project to supply education and training to more than 1,600 people, including unemployed, dislocated or incumbent workers.
The Labor Department grant program is designed on a “demand-driven workforce development model” that relies on partnerships between community colleges and employers.
The ECCC job training program will be aided through partnerships with: District Workforce Development Council; Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians; Neshoba County Community Development Partnership; Twin Districts Local Workforce Investment Board; Workforce Investment Workforce One-Stop Center; and, Winston County Industrial Development Authority.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Community college receives grant for job training”
Top Posts & Pages
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Ex-Northwest Rankin coach David Coates dies before drug trial
- The link between education and economic development
- WOODS: Time to put gloves on for handgrabbing
- Supervisors to talk with trustees about selling hospital