Aldermen approve jail site annexation
HERNANDO — Hernando aldermen have agreed to annex a 51.3-acre site for a new DeSoto County jail.
The annexation petition must be filed in chancery court where there is a chance for residents in the area to oppose it.
Melissa Goucher, a spokeswoman for residential foes of the jail, would not comment on possible legal action. About 125 local residents had signed a petition opposing the jail.
The Commercial Appeal reports the county for two years has been seeking a site of at least 40 acres to relieve jail crowding downtown and to meet long-term justice system needs.
Annexation was needed after a state attorney general’s opinion that the county jail must be within the limits of the county seat, which is Hernando.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications