Aldermen approve jail site annexation
HERNANDO — Hernando aldermen have agreed to annex a 51.3-acre site for a new DeSoto County jail.
The annexation petition must be filed in chancery court where there is a chance for residents in the area to oppose it.
Melissa Goucher, a spokeswoman for residential foes of the jail, would not comment on possible legal action. About 125 local residents had signed a petition opposing the jail.
The Commercial Appeal reports the county for two years has been seeking a site of at least 40 acres to relieve jail crowding downtown and to meet long-term justice system needs.
Annexation was needed after a state attorney general’s opinion that the county jail must be within the limits of the county seat, which is Hernando.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules