Aldermen approve jail site annexation
HERNANDO — Hernando aldermen have agreed to annex a 51.3-acre site for a new DeSoto County jail.
The annexation petition must be filed in chancery court where there is a chance for residents in the area to oppose it.
Melissa Goucher, a spokeswoman for residential foes of the jail, would not comment on possible legal action. About 125 local residents had signed a petition opposing the jail.
The Commercial Appeal reports the county for two years has been seeking a site of at least 40 acres to relieve jail crowding downtown and to meet long-term justice system needs.
Annexation was needed after a state attorney general’s opinion that the county jail must be within the limits of the county seat, which is Hernando.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal