Aldermen approve jail site annexation
HERNANDO — Hernando aldermen have agreed to annex a 51.3-acre site for a new DeSoto County jail.
The annexation petition must be filed in chancery court where there is a chance for residents in the area to oppose it.
Melissa Goucher, a spokeswoman for residential foes of the jail, would not comment on possible legal action. About 125 local residents had signed a petition opposing the jail.
The Commercial Appeal reports the county for two years has been seeking a site of at least 40 acres to relieve jail crowding downtown and to meet long-term justice system needs.
Annexation was needed after a state attorney general’s opinion that the county jail must be within the limits of the county seat, which is Hernando.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet