Aldermen approve jail site annexation
HERNANDO — Hernando aldermen have agreed to annex a 51.3-acre site for a new DeSoto County jail.
The annexation petition must be filed in chancery court where there is a chance for residents in the area to oppose it.
Melissa Goucher, a spokeswoman for residential foes of the jail, would not comment on possible legal action. About 125 local residents had signed a petition opposing the jail.
The Commercial Appeal reports the county for two years has been seeking a site of at least 40 acres to relieve jail crowding downtown and to meet long-term justice system needs.
Annexation was needed after a state attorney general’s opinion that the county jail must be within the limits of the county seat, which is Hernando.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!