State to spend year studying oil spill impact
Published: July 8,2010
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Gov. Haley Barbour announced a year-long economic impact study by numerous state agencies to examine the effects of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
The study is being coordinated through the Governor’s Office in partnership with the Institutions of Higher Learning, Departments of Employment Security, Environmental Quality and Marine Resources, Mississippi Development Authority, the Department of Revenue and the Gulf Coast Business Council.
The $600,000 study will be funded equally by BP and anticipated grant money from the U.S. Economic Development Administration.
“We need a clear grasp on how this oil spill will impact the State of Mississippi and local communities for years to come,” Barbour said. “We want a picture of exactly how this spill will effect Mississippi businesses, families and communities. This study will help as state leaders, agencies and local governments create long-term coastal restoration plans.”
The study will collect and analyze key economic indicators including employment data, tax revenues and socio-economic information. This data would be used by the team to formulate economic forecasts and the potential impact of the spill on the state’s economy.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “State to spend year studying oil spill impact”
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)