Keeping Our Eye On: Larkin Simpson
Published: July 11,2010
Education: University of Southern Mississippi (MS, economic & workforce development), Delta State University (BFA, graphic design)
Current Position: Chamber director, Economic Development Authority of Jones County
Having worked in many self-described “dead end” jobs since he was in high school, Larkin Simpson said he has come to realize each of those choices helped guide and prepare him for a job where he can do what he loves, namely, “serving the people and providing Mississippians opportunities to prosper socially, economically and culturally while turning their dreams into reality.”
After graduating from DSU, Simpson worked first as technology consultant in Mississippi before taking an advertising and marketing position with SunGard High Education in Maitland, Fla. “The corporate structure of SunGard gave me a good foundation of what a well-balanced, global organization looks like,” Simpson said. His job also awakened him to a love for community and economic development, through working with the Mid South Delta Leadership program, a tri-state initiative that tackles social and cultural issues in the Delta regions of Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi.
Today, as chamber director for Jones County, Simpson said he tries to bring a support network to local businesses by connecting the dots between suppliers and vendors so that everyone can grow and prosper together. “To borrow from (Mississippi Development Authority director) Gray Swoope, I believe that working together we can all be relentless in making Mississippi better for the future,” Simpson said.
Mississippi’s best keep secret: We have more caring, giving, and talented people per capita than any other state.
Must-have Mississippi food: Mayor’s filet with Crawfish Sauce at Crawdad’s in Merigold
Favorite Hangout: Keg & Barrel in Hattiesburg)
Favorite Television Show: “24”
Favorite Movie: “For Love of The Game”
Favorite Band: Jimmy Buffett
Last Book Read: “Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood”
Best Role Model: Dave “Boo” Ferriss
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions