Webb replaces Pepper at IHL
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 11,2010
Dr. Darrin Webb, a senior economist at the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) for nearly 15 years, has been selected as the new State Economist. He assumes the position immediately from Dr. Phil Pepper, who retired at the end of June.
In his years at IHL, Webb has worked closely with the Revenue Estimating Group, formulating and presenting the University Research Center’s estimate. He also constructed and maintained the state’s Leading and Coincident Indicator series, tools that are used to forecast economic trends and assess the Mississippi economy.
Webb, a native Mississippian, is the editor of Mississippi’s Business, a monthly publication that monitors the state’s economy.
The State Economist serves as the chief economist for the State of Mississippi. Responsibilities include economic forecasting, socio-economic policy analysis and monitoring collections of state general fund revenue. The State Economist traditionally serves as chair of the Revenue Estimating Group, working closely with the Governor’s Office, Legislative Budget Office, legislators and other state agencies.
Webb earned an associate’s degree in applied science from Hinds Community College and a bachelor’s in agribusiness and a master’s in agricultural economics, both from Mississippi State University. His doctorate of philosophy in applied economics is from Clemson University.
Prior to his work as a senior economist at IHL, Webb served as an assistant professor of agricultural economics at Northeast Louisiana University.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Regions must pay $7.5 million in fines over illegal overdraft fees
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings attorney Alan Perry takes office as IHL board president
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippian Glenn McCullough Jr. gets nod as new MDA chief
- DAVID DALLAS: Getting a grip on LGBT issues
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Top 40 Under 40
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur