MDOT to hold public meetings on I-69 service
SOUTHAVEN — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT), in cooperation with local governments, will host two public meetings July 15 to discuss high-performance transit service options from DeSoto and Tunica counties to the Memphis Central Business District in the Interstate 69 corridor.
The upcoming meetings are the third and final meetings in a series of public meetings scheduled for the “I-69 Corridor Alternatives Analysis Study,” an 18-month project to evaluate whether new high-performance transit service should be introduced in the region. The public meetings will specifically focus on Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), a high-performance bus system designed to offer the speed and quality of rail service at a lower cost.
There are three potential routes under consideration. The first would operate on I-69/I-55 from Tunica Resorts to downtown Memphis. The second route would follow I-69/I-55 from Tunica Resorts to Church Road and then take U.S. 51 to downtown Memphis. The third option would run on I-69/I-55 from Tunica Resorts to Church Road and then take Airways Boulevard to Memphis International Airport and connect to the planned light rail service between the airport and downtown. All the alternatives would have stations at major street crossings.
The two public meetings will be held from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the following locations at the DeSoto Civic Center in Southaven and MATA Central Station in Memphis.
Formal presentations will begin at 5:30 p.m. Before and after the presentation, the meetings will be an open house format with the public invited to ask questions and provide comments.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Nullification and interposition
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge