Men plead not guilty to defrauding railroad
SMITHVILLE — Two Smithville men face a September trial on charges they defrauded the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports that 47-year-old Kenny Avery and 44-year-old Allen Duncan pleaded not guilty yesterday to one federal count of fraud by wire, radio or television.
Their July 1 indictment, sealed until the hearing, told Magistrate Jerry A. Davis that the men conspired to receive more than $350,000 from BSNF by submitting fictitious invoices for services never rendered.
The newspaper reports Avery was a BNSF employee and Duncan operated Smithville Hardware Co.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner