Men plead not guilty to defrauding railroad
SMITHVILLE — Two Smithville men face a September trial on charges they defrauded the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports that 47-year-old Kenny Avery and 44-year-old Allen Duncan pleaded not guilty yesterday to one federal count of fraud by wire, radio or television.
Their July 1 indictment, sealed until the hearing, told Magistrate Jerry A. Davis that the men conspired to receive more than $350,000 from BSNF by submitting fictitious invoices for services never rendered.
The newspaper reports Avery was a BNSF employee and Duncan operated Smithville Hardware Co.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Ford Foundation gives to UM for new science building
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete