Men plead not guilty to defrauding railroad
SMITHVILLE — Two Smithville men face a September trial on charges they defrauded the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports that 47-year-old Kenny Avery and 44-year-old Allen Duncan pleaded not guilty yesterday to one federal count of fraud by wire, radio or television.
Their July 1 indictment, sealed until the hearing, told Magistrate Jerry A. Davis that the men conspired to receive more than $350,000 from BSNF by submitting fictitious invoices for services never rendered.
The newspaper reports Avery was a BNSF employee and Duncan operated Smithville Hardware Co.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county