New river bridge to open this month
GREENVILLE — The new U.S. Highway 82-Greenville Bridge is scheduled to open for traffic July 28.
The dedication ceremony is slated for July 26. Washington County Board of Supervisors president Paul Watson said transportation officials in Mississippi and Arkansas are working on the details.
The first contract was awarded in 2001 and construction began in 2002. It was authorized when the existing bridge, built in 1940, was determined to be a navigational hazard and obsolete.
The old two-lane bridge crosses the Mississippi River just south of a sharp bend. Towboats have difficulty completing that turn and straightening up in time to clear the bridge. Numerous barge/bridge collisions have happened over the years.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders