Second Piranha hits the water to fight oil spill
by Wally Northway
Published: August 4,2010
OCEAN SPRINGS — Overing Yacht Designs and Oil Piranha launched the second oil skimmer, Overing Oil Piranha, M/V Horn Island, yesterday in Ocean Springs,
On June 25, Gov. Haley Barbour authorized the purchase of 14 Overing Oil Piranha skimmers for State of Mississippi to assist in the BP oil cleanup.
The Overing Oil Piranha, is a self-propelled aluminum response vessel built on proven, patentable technology. The Overing Oil Piranha 6000 is a truckable, 43-foot vessel outfitted with oil recovery equipment capable of removing oil in varying sea states. At a beam of 12.5 feet, it can operate in wave action where the bulk of the oil has been — the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi Sound — with a oil recovery rate of up to 6,000 gallons/hour in open water.
M/V Mississippi Sound, the first Overing Oil Piranha, was christened by Ocean Springs Mayor Connie Moran July 15.
“The first 43-foot boat, Mississippi Sound, will be stationed in Point Cadet,” said Earl Etheridge, state of scene coordinator for Mississippi Dep’t of Environmental Quality (MDEQ). “The next Piranhas, Horn Island and Round Island, will be based in Pascagoula in Bayou Cassotte.”
Initial production of the Overing Oil Piranhas is in Amelia, La., at High Tech Steel
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability