Mississippi Power sees highest-ever demand
GULFPORT — Mississippi Power Co. has set a company record for summer power demand.
Officials say the new mark was set Aug. 2, when the electricity demand was for 2,708,000 kilowatts of electricity. That surpassed the previous record of 2,593,000 kilowatts set on Aug. 29, 2000.
Company spokesman Verdell Hawkins says the utility typically experiences its greatest demand during summer months. He says there have been no unexpected interruptions attributed to the hot weather.
Gulfport-based Mississippi Power provides retail and wholesale electric service to about 200,000 customers in 23 counties from the Gulf Coast to Meridian.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate