Mississippi Power sees highest-ever demand
GULFPORT — Mississippi Power Co. has set a company record for summer power demand.
Officials say the new mark was set Aug. 2, when the electricity demand was for 2,708,000 kilowatts of electricity. That surpassed the previous record of 2,593,000 kilowatts set on Aug. 29, 2000.
Company spokesman Verdell Hawkins says the utility typically experiences its greatest demand during summer months. He says there have been no unexpected interruptions attributed to the hot weather.
Gulfport-based Mississippi Power provides retail and wholesale electric service to about 200,000 customers in 23 counties from the Gulf Coast to Meridian.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects