Mississippi Power sees highest-ever demand
GULFPORT — Mississippi Power Co. has set a company record for summer power demand.
Officials say the new mark was set Aug. 2, when the electricity demand was for 2,708,000 kilowatts of electricity. That surpassed the previous record of 2,593,000 kilowatts set on Aug. 29, 2000.
Company spokesman Verdell Hawkins says the utility typically experiences its greatest demand during summer months. He says there have been no unexpected interruptions attributed to the hot weather.
Gulfport-based Mississippi Power provides retail and wholesale electric service to about 200,000 customers in 23 counties from the Gulf Coast to Meridian.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JACKSON JILTED —Southwest Airlines pulling up stakes and leaving Mississippi
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino