Sara Lee CEO stepping down for good following stroke
DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. — Sara Lee says CEO Brenda Barnes will step down permanently from her position as chairman and chief executive officer.
Barnes had been on temporary medical leave since May 14 after suffering a stroke. The company says the 56-year-old is leaving the post to continue focusing on improving her health.
She’s also leaving her position on Sara Lee Corp.’s board of directors. Marcel Smits, who has been handling the CEO duties in her place will continue to do so until a new CEO is named.
The food maker, based in Downers Grove, Ill., says its board has started a process to select a new CEO and is looking inside and outside of the company.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Deal for daily Jackson-Orlando flight in works with Allegiant
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts