TRPDD lands grant for economic development work
PONTOTOC — Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) announced that the Economic Development Administration is providing a $189,000 grant to assist the Three Rivers Planning and Development District (TRPDD) in developing and implementing a comprehensive economic development strategy.
The federal grant will support an overall $270,000 project to establish an economic development framework to support job creation and investment in Calhoun, Itawamba, Lafayette, Lee, Monroe, Pontotoc and Union counties, which are represented by the district.
The grant will be matched with $81,000 in non-federal funding. The grant will cover a three-year span to facilitate a continuous planning process. The federal funding derives from funding approved by Congress for the EDA in the FY2010 Commerce, Justice and Science Appropriations Bill.
In its application to the EDA, the TRPDD indicated that the grant would be an investment that is “market-based and results-driven in that it seeks to increase higher-skill, higher-wage jobs and private-sector investment in the region” by promoting a comprehensive economic development strategy that will “help TRPDD as it looks beyond the immediate economic horizon, anticipates economic changes and helps diversify the local and regional economies.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip