Mainland acquires land for oil exploration
JEFFERSON COUNTY — Mainland Resources Inc. of Houston has acquired a second target prospect for exploration of oil and gas formations in western Mississippi. Terms were not disclosed.
The company has acquired a 100 percent working interest in approximately 1,260 net leasehold acres within the same general geological region as the Buena Vista Project in Jefferson County.
Mainland is currently testing the Buena Vista Prospect with the drilling of its Burkley-Phillips No.1 well. The well was spudded July 21, and has a projected drilling depth of 22,000 feet, which will test the Haynesville Shale and potentially shallower productive formations.
This new acreage acquired by Mainland is similar to the Buena Vista prospect, as the prospect was originally developed by a major oil company to drill a 20,000-foot-plus well in the early 1980s. The deep test drilled was not successful in establishing production in the deep target zone. However, the driller encountered four to five shallower zones that did calculate to be potentially productive. These zones were not of interest in the early 1980s because the major oil and gas companies were looking for very large reserves at the time, and the market prices for fuels could not justify completing costs in these shallower zones.
According to data received by the company, there is a gas zone at approximately 15,000 feet that had good porosity and mud log shows. There are three to four different Tuscaloosa oil zones between 13,000 feet and 14,000 feet that had good mud log shows and porosity. All the zones calculate to be potentially productive.
This interval includes the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale, an oil-bearing shale known to cover fourteen parishes and counties in Louisiana and Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on