Mainland acquires land for oil exploration
JEFFERSON COUNTY — Mainland Resources Inc. of Houston has acquired a second target prospect for exploration of oil and gas formations in western Mississippi. Terms were not disclosed.
The company has acquired a 100 percent working interest in approximately 1,260 net leasehold acres within the same general geological region as the Buena Vista Project in Jefferson County.
Mainland is currently testing the Buena Vista Prospect with the drilling of its Burkley-Phillips No.1 well. The well was spudded July 21, and has a projected drilling depth of 22,000 feet, which will test the Haynesville Shale and potentially shallower productive formations.
This new acreage acquired by Mainland is similar to the Buena Vista prospect, as the prospect was originally developed by a major oil company to drill a 20,000-foot-plus well in the early 1980s. The deep test drilled was not successful in establishing production in the deep target zone. However, the driller encountered four to five shallower zones that did calculate to be potentially productive. These zones were not of interest in the early 1980s because the major oil and gas companies were looking for very large reserves at the time, and the market prices for fuels could not justify completing costs in these shallower zones.
According to data received by the company, there is a gas zone at approximately 15,000 feet that had good porosity and mud log shows. There are three to four different Tuscaloosa oil zones between 13,000 feet and 14,000 feet that had good mud log shows and porosity. All the zones calculate to be potentially productive.
This interval includes the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale, an oil-bearing shale known to cover fourteen parishes and counties in Louisiana and Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data