Patriot agrees to buy rail lines from Weyerhaeuser
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Patriot Rail Corp., a privately-held short line and regional freight railroad holding company based in Boca Raton, Fla., has agreed in principle to purchase the short line railroad assets of Weyerhaeuser Company.
The acquisition is subject to certain closing conditions, including Patriot’s due diligence and regulatory approval, and is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2010. Terms were not disclosed.
The six railroads operate over approximately 160 miles of track in four states and currently handle approximately 60,000 carloads of freight annually. The railroads include the Golden Triangle Railroad, which operates over 13.3 route miles in Central Mississippi, and the Mississippi & Skuna Valley Railroad, which owns 21 route miles in Mississippi. The other railroads are operate in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Washington.
The railroads primarily source Weyerhaeuser and International Paper mills, move finished products and serve some third-party customers. The railroads employ approximately 120 people.
Patriot owns and operates six short line freight railroads comprising 331 total rail miles in eight states. In addition, Patriot recently signed an agreement to lease and operate the 13-mile Piedmont & Northern Railroad in Gaston County, N.C.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Court ruling on Section 42 leaves taxpayers on hook for tax repayments
- Wisconsin man pleads guilty to illegal wildlife trapping
- Jackson air fares among most expensive in the nation