Workers rack up $1M-plus in overtime
by Associated Press
Published: August 16,2010
HATTIESBURG — Hattiesburg city employees earned more than $1 million in overtime last year. The Hattiesburg American reports that one fire department engineer’s overtime boosted his paycheck above the fire chief’s.
The Hattiesburg American requested and analyzed salary reports for the information.
It says the fire department engineer got $34,876 in overtime — doubling his annual salary for a total of $69,476.
Fire Chief David Webster earned $63,310. He says he has to make up almost 20 vacancies with overtime to keep enough fire trucks working.
The newspaper says the overtime checks averaged out to about $2,800, but nearly 20 workers earned at least $10,000 in overtime.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi