Workers rack up $1M-plus in overtime
Published: August 16,2010
HATTIESBURG — Hattiesburg city employees earned more than $1 million in overtime last year. The Hattiesburg American reports that one fire department engineer’s overtime boosted his paycheck above the fire chief’s.
The Hattiesburg American requested and analyzed salary reports for the information.
It says the fire department engineer got $34,876 in overtime — doubling his annual salary for a total of $69,476.
Fire Chief David Webster earned $63,310. He says he has to make up almost 20 vacancies with overtime to keep enough fire trucks working.
The newspaper says the overtime checks averaged out to about $2,800, but nearly 20 workers earned at least $10,000 in overtime.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015