Workers rack up $1M-plus in overtime
Published: August 16,2010
HATTIESBURG — Hattiesburg city employees earned more than $1 million in overtime last year. The Hattiesburg American reports that one fire department engineer’s overtime boosted his paycheck above the fire chief’s.
The Hattiesburg American requested and analyzed salary reports for the information.
It says the fire department engineer got $34,876 in overtime — doubling his annual salary for a total of $69,476.
Fire Chief David Webster earned $63,310. He says he has to make up almost 20 vacancies with overtime to keep enough fire trucks working.
The newspaper says the overtime checks averaged out to about $2,800, but nearly 20 workers earned at least $10,000 in overtime.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist