Workers rack up $1M-plus in overtime
by Associated Press
Published: August 16,2010
HATTIESBURG — Hattiesburg city employees earned more than $1 million in overtime last year. The Hattiesburg American reports that one fire department engineer’s overtime boosted his paycheck above the fire chief’s.
The Hattiesburg American requested and analyzed salary reports for the information.
It says the fire department engineer got $34,876 in overtime — doubling his annual salary for a total of $69,476.
Fire Chief David Webster earned $63,310. He says he has to make up almost 20 vacancies with overtime to keep enough fire trucks working.
The newspaper says the overtime checks averaged out to about $2,800, but nearly 20 workers earned at least $10,000 in overtime.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JACKSON JILTED —Southwest Airlines pulling up stakes and leaving Mississippi
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law