BP to hand over oil spill claims to administrator
Published: August 18,2010
GULF COAST — BP plans to stop processing claims from people and businesses hurt by the Gulf oil spill as it prepares to transfer that role to a government-appointed administrator.
The company says it will stop accepting new claims after today. The Gulf Coast Claims Facility, led by Kenneth Feinberg, will take over the process starting Aug. 23.
BP PLC says it’s paid roughly $368 million to invididuals and businesses, including about $102 million so far in August. Claims filed by government entities, as opposed to people and businesses, will still be handled by the British energy giant.
Feinberg is scheduled to be in Louisiana today to meet with residents and answer questions about how the claims process will work.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus