SBA sets new state loan volume record
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — A total of 1,000 business loans for more than $174.9 million have been approved by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for Mississippi small businesses, according to the SBA Mississippi District Office.
“The current level exceeds the previous record of $151.80 million in loan dollars achieved in fiscal year 2006 as well as the previous record of 770 loans guaranteed in fiscal year 2009,” said Mississippi SBA District director Janita R. Stewart.
SBA’s 2010 fiscal year runs Oct. 1, 2009 through Sept. 30, 2010, leaving approximately a month and a half to make even more loans this year.
“Although funding for the benefits of the Recovery Act has exhausted, SBA is still working toward getting an extension in September, when Congress comes back into session,” said Stewart. “Recovery Act provisions provide a domino effect in that they were successful in making credit more available to small businesses, which helped create/retain jobs which increased the state’s tax base which supports economic development.”
Nationally, SBA has seen more than 1,300 lenders that had not made an SBA-backed loan since 2007 process one or more loans, seen its average weekly dollar volume for SBA-backed loans rise by more than 90 percent in the 7(a) and 504 programs, and supported more than $29.5 billion in Recovery loans to small business.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren