Harvest moving at fast pace despite rains
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The past week was a wet one across the state. According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service in Mississippi, there were 4.8 days suitable for fieldwork for the week ending Aug. 22.
Despite the rain, Mississippi State University Extension Service agents report harvest is moving at a fast pace. Farmers are now in the fields harvesting all major row crops, including a few producers who have begun harvesting cotton.
Soil moisture was rated 14 percent very short, 17 percent short, 48 adequate, and 21 percent surplus.
“Rice harvest is approaching full swing. Irrigated soybeans are maturing well, and have begun to be cut. The earliest cotton picking started last week and will continue as weather permits. Overall, yields across the county seem to improve as we get deeper into harvest,” said Charlie Bush in Bolivar County.
“Growers are harvesting corn, soybeans and rice. There will be some cotton picked this week. Yields vary from farm to farm. Growers are still watering,” said Don Respess, who serves Quitman Coahoma counties.
Lester Stephens of Washington County said, “Heavy rains and wind in the county over the weekend blew down a large amount of rice acreage. Other crops are holding up fairly well. Wet ground will keep farmers out of the field in the southern part of the county for a couple of days.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Judge to weigh Hood's credit card issuer lawsuit
- Blue Origin successfully tests BE-3 rocket engine
- Allain to lie in repose at Capital Friday; funeral Saturday in Natchez
- Northrop Grumman begins production of five NATO drones