State’s unemployment rate balloons to 11.5 percent
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s unemployment rate for July rose to 11.5 percent.
The jobless rate was 11.1 percent in June and 10.4 percent in July 2009.
Figures were released yesterday by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
For July, only 21 counties in Mississippi posted unemployment rates less than or equal to the state’s rate of 11.5 percent. Rankin County posted the lowest unemployment rate for the month of July at 6.9 percent followed by Lamar County at 8.0 percent.
Twenty-four counties reported rates greater than or equal to 15.0 percent with four counties reporting rates greater than 20.0 percent.
Holmes County had the highest unemployment rate for July at 22.7 percent followed by Noxubee County at 22.4 percent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren