Idled plant site could see new tenant
LAUDERDALE COUNTY — Lauderdale County officials hope there is some good news for a plant site that had great promise a few years ago but died.
In 2006, Shuqualak Lumber Company announced it would be building a new processed wood product manufacturing plant called Loblolly Industries at the Sonny Montgomery Industrial Park. Loblolly never built the plant, leaving the county on the hook for the millions it had spent on the site.
This week, Lauderdale County supervisors voted 3-2 to accept a letter of intent from a company interested in locating in the abandoned Loblolly site, which is owned by the county.
Officials said the company, Maridale, LLC, would have six months to do its homework and decide if it want to locate here. If so, it would have 18 months to exercise a lease that would run for 30 years.
The rest of the details are secret — under a confidentiality contract signed with the county.
That agreement also means other details — such as how many jobs Maridale would provide — are confidential.
According the letter of intent, the company plans to purchase a one-year option on the property for $30,000.
The county took out a $10 million bond to make improvements to the site in 2006. If another company leases the property, it would help the county pay the debt service on the bond. Until now, the county has been paying the debt service using left over money from the bond.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits