Keeping our eye on: Brad Franklin
Published: August 29,2010
Education: BS in mass communication, Jackson State University
Current Position: Director of media & community affairs, Watkins Development; president/CEO, OurGlass Entertainment
Brad Franklin, better known in the Capitol City as “Kamikaze” or just plain “Kaz”, has been director of media and communications affairs for Watkins Development since 2008.
“(David Watkins) is a visionary,” Franklin says. “I’m thankful that he saw something in me that many didn’t. It’s been a pleasure working for him.”
Franklin started out as an artist and independent label owner in the hip hop industry before moving into corporate communications and event planning. He received two NAACP awards in 2005 and 2007.
Franklin’s communications career has also included stints as an Associated Press night desk editor, a master control operator for WAPT and a co-host for “The Kim Wade Show” on WJNT.
Entertainment is still a big part of his workload as a minority investor in the Farish Street Entertainment District in Jackson and as managing partner for Dreamz, another downtown venue.
When Franklin isn’t coordinating media interviews or booking activities for Watkins Development, he hosts “A Closer Look,” a weekly public affairs program produced by Mississippi Public Broadcasting. In his spare time, he is active in the Jackson Progressives, Crossroads Film Festival, Mississippi Arts and Producers Coalition and the National Hip Hop Congress.
Mississippi’s Best Kept Secret: “me!”
Must Have Mississippi Food: Smoked turkey legs
Favorite Hangout: Dreamz in Jackson
Favorite TV Show: “Seinfeld”
Favorite Movie: “Anchorman”
Favorite Band: Storage 24
Last Book Read: “Leadership” by Rudy Giuliani
Best Role Model: My parents
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
3 Responses to “Keeping our eye on: Brad Franklin”
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss