Keeping our eye on: Brad Franklin
by Stephen McDill
Published: August 29,2010
Education: BS in mass communication, Jackson State University
Current Position: Director of media & community affairs, Watkins Development; president/CEO, OurGlass Entertainment
Brad Franklin, better known in the Capitol City as “Kamikaze” or just plain “Kaz”, has been director of media and communications affairs for Watkins Development since 2008.
“(David Watkins) is a visionary,” Franklin says. “I’m thankful that he saw something in me that many didn’t. It’s been a pleasure working for him.”
Franklin started out as an artist and independent label owner in the hip hop industry before moving into corporate communications and event planning. He received two NAACP awards in 2005 and 2007.
Franklin’s communications career has also included stints as an Associated Press night desk editor, a master control operator for WAPT and a co-host for “The Kim Wade Show” on WJNT.
Entertainment is still a big part of his workload as a minority investor in the Farish Street Entertainment District in Jackson and as managing partner for Dreamz, another downtown venue.
When Franklin isn’t coordinating media interviews or booking activities for Watkins Development, he hosts “A Closer Look,” a weekly public affairs program produced by Mississippi Public Broadcasting. In his spare time, he is active in the Jackson Progressives, Crossroads Film Festival, Mississippi Arts and Producers Coalition and the National Hip Hop Congress.
Mississippi’s Best Kept Secret: “me!”
Must Have Mississippi Food: Smoked turkey legs
Favorite Hangout: Dreamz in Jackson
Favorite TV Show: “Seinfeld”
Favorite Movie: “Anchorman”
Favorite Band: Storage 24
Last Book Read: “Leadership” by Rudy Giuliani
Best Role Model: My parents
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
3 Responses to “Keeping our eye on: Brad Franklin”
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability