Baptist gives pink slips to nearly 200 workers
by Associated Press
Published: August 31,2010
JACKSON — Baptist Medical Center has given pink slips to 186 employees as part of its attempt to cut more than $16 million.
CEO Kurt Metzner tells The Clarion-Ledger that the first pink slips came last week, and the latest ones came yesterday. He said those people can apply for 136 job openings. Metzner offered no explanation why those openings existed when positions were being cut.
He said those laid off will received severance pay.
Metzner said the cuts are part of a companywide initiative by Baptist Health Systems to cut costs.
Mississippi Baptist Health Systems operates one of the state’s largest private, general hospitals with nearly 600 patient beds as well as eight outlying clinics.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Nullification and interposition
- Court rules in clinic dispute involving St. Dominic, HMA
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Commission eyeing unauthorized changes to historic structures
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district