Coast hospital lays off nearly 50 workers
Published: September 1,2010
GULFPORT — Forty-seven employees have been laid off at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport.
Gary Marchand, the hospitals president and CEO, says the layoffs came Friday and included 35 full-time employees. He says 10 nurses were laid off.
Marchard said yesterday that Memorial Hospital is trying to offset an anticipated $11 million shortfall related to reimbursement reductions from Medicare and Medicaid.
Marchard said in a memo to workers that the hospital will shut down its hospice program on Oct. 1. He said workers will see an increase in their health insurance premiums.
He said a wage freeze will be in effect for directors and administrators.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Locker doors opening for Clinton inventor after ‘Shark Tank’
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry