Coast hospital lays off nearly 50 workers
Published: September 1,2010
GULFPORT — Forty-seven employees have been laid off at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport.
Gary Marchand, the hospitals president and CEO, says the layoffs came Friday and included 35 full-time employees. He says 10 nurses were laid off.
Marchard said yesterday that Memorial Hospital is trying to offset an anticipated $11 million shortfall related to reimbursement reductions from Medicare and Medicaid.
Marchard said in a memo to workers that the hospital will shut down its hospice program on Oct. 1. He said workers will see an increase in their health insurance premiums.
He said a wage freeze will be in effect for directors and administrators.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal