Farmers: Weather perfect for harvesting
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service in Mississippi, there were 6.0 days suitable for fieldwork for the week ending Aug. 29.
Last week weather conditions were favorable for harvesting. The majority of corn has already been harvested with reports of varied yields, and cotton farmers have begun defoliating their crop to prepare for harvest, according to AgFax.
Don Respess of Coahoma County said, “Weekend rains will delay harvest for a couple of days. Cotton harvest started on a small amount of acres last week but more growers will start this week. Corn harvest is moving along nicely with some growers finished already.”
“Ideal harvesting weather has allowed producers to get caught up and many are waiting for their remaining crops to mature or are putting out harvest aids to speed up this process. Some cotton was defoliated earlier this week in Sunflower County,” said Strider McCroy of Sunflower County.
“Although more rain would help later maturing soybean varieties and some of our cotton, most fields have reached the point that rain will make little difference in yields,” reported Ernest Flint of Attala County. “Our main concern now is preparing for and completing the harvest.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- 'Get on Up' movie opens in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet