Farmers: Weather perfect for harvesting
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service in Mississippi, there were 6.0 days suitable for fieldwork for the week ending Aug. 29.
Last week weather conditions were favorable for harvesting. The majority of corn has already been harvested with reports of varied yields, and cotton farmers have begun defoliating their crop to prepare for harvest, according to AgFax.
Don Respess of Coahoma County said, “Weekend rains will delay harvest for a couple of days. Cotton harvest started on a small amount of acres last week but more growers will start this week. Corn harvest is moving along nicely with some growers finished already.”
“Ideal harvesting weather has allowed producers to get caught up and many are waiting for their remaining crops to mature or are putting out harvest aids to speed up this process. Some cotton was defoliated earlier this week in Sunflower County,” said Strider McCroy of Sunflower County.
“Although more rain would help later maturing soybean varieties and some of our cotton, most fields have reached the point that rain will make little difference in yields,” reported Ernest Flint of Attala County. “Our main concern now is preparing for and completing the harvest.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015