Farmers: Weather perfect for harvesting
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service in Mississippi, there were 6.0 days suitable for fieldwork for the week ending Aug. 29.
Last week weather conditions were favorable for harvesting. The majority of corn has already been harvested with reports of varied yields, and cotton farmers have begun defoliating their crop to prepare for harvest, according to AgFax.
Don Respess of Coahoma County said, “Weekend rains will delay harvest for a couple of days. Cotton harvest started on a small amount of acres last week but more growers will start this week. Corn harvest is moving along nicely with some growers finished already.”
“Ideal harvesting weather has allowed producers to get caught up and many are waiting for their remaining crops to mature or are putting out harvest aids to speed up this process. Some cotton was defoliated earlier this week in Sunflower County,” said Strider McCroy of Sunflower County.
“Although more rain would help later maturing soybean varieties and some of our cotton, most fields have reached the point that rain will make little difference in yields,” reported Ernest Flint of Attala County. “Our main concern now is preparing for and completing the harvest.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Meadville mayor seeks Sojourner's Senate seat
- Entergy plans three solar-power pilot projects
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Record soybean yield is valued at $1.17 billion
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case