SMSH expands service into four more counties
PURVIS — The Mississippi Department of Mental Health has revised the psychiatric services catchment areas for Mississippi State Hospital in Whitfield and South Mississippi State Hospital (SMSH) in Purvis.
Effective immediately, the catchment area for SMSH will include Hancock, Harrison, Stone and Pearl River counties in addition to the nine counties the Purvis facility currently serves.
Since it’s opening in 2000, SMSH has primarily served Lamar, Forrest, Marion, Perry, Greene, Wayne, Jones, Covington and Jefferson Davis counties.
Wynona Winfield, SMSH director, said, “Rather than having to drive to State Hospital in Whitfield for treatment, care here in Purvis will be much more accessible for them and will allow their families to visit more frequently and participate in their care planning.”
In a separate item, SMSH has earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval.
The Joint Commission conducted an unannounced, on-site evaluation of SMSH recently.
“South Mississippi State Hospital’s accreditation achievement is a demonstration of the organization’s leadership and staff commitment to excellence,” said Mary Cesare-Murphy, Ph.D., executive director of the Behavioral Health Care Accreditation Program at The Joint Commission. “Joint Commission accreditation requires organization-wide dedication to providing safe, client-focused care, treatment and services.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation