SMSH expands service into four more counties
PURVIS — The Mississippi Department of Mental Health has revised the psychiatric services catchment areas for Mississippi State Hospital in Whitfield and South Mississippi State Hospital (SMSH) in Purvis.
Effective immediately, the catchment area for SMSH will include Hancock, Harrison, Stone and Pearl River counties in addition to the nine counties the Purvis facility currently serves.
Since it’s opening in 2000, SMSH has primarily served Lamar, Forrest, Marion, Perry, Greene, Wayne, Jones, Covington and Jefferson Davis counties.
Wynona Winfield, SMSH director, said, “Rather than having to drive to State Hospital in Whitfield for treatment, care here in Purvis will be much more accessible for them and will allow their families to visit more frequently and participate in their care planning.”
In a separate item, SMSH has earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval.
The Joint Commission conducted an unannounced, on-site evaluation of SMSH recently.
“South Mississippi State Hospital’s accreditation achievement is a demonstration of the organization’s leadership and staff commitment to excellence,” said Mary Cesare-Murphy, Ph.D., executive director of the Behavioral Health Care Accreditation Program at The Joint Commission. “Joint Commission accreditation requires organization-wide dedication to providing safe, client-focused care, treatment and services.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years