SMSH expands service into four more counties
PURVIS — The Mississippi Department of Mental Health has revised the psychiatric services catchment areas for Mississippi State Hospital in Whitfield and South Mississippi State Hospital (SMSH) in Purvis.
Effective immediately, the catchment area for SMSH will include Hancock, Harrison, Stone and Pearl River counties in addition to the nine counties the Purvis facility currently serves.
Since it’s opening in 2000, SMSH has primarily served Lamar, Forrest, Marion, Perry, Greene, Wayne, Jones, Covington and Jefferson Davis counties.
Wynona Winfield, SMSH director, said, “Rather than having to drive to State Hospital in Whitfield for treatment, care here in Purvis will be much more accessible for them and will allow their families to visit more frequently and participate in their care planning.”
In a separate item, SMSH has earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval.
The Joint Commission conducted an unannounced, on-site evaluation of SMSH recently.
“South Mississippi State Hospital’s accreditation achievement is a demonstration of the organization’s leadership and staff commitment to excellence,” said Mary Cesare-Murphy, Ph.D., executive director of the Behavioral Health Care Accreditation Program at The Joint Commission. “Joint Commission accreditation requires organization-wide dedication to providing safe, client-focused care, treatment and services.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Quapaw Canoe Company gains legislative support in battle with tax department
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- The link between education and economic development
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Expeditors working out logistics to open Jackson office next month