MSU fundraiser offering income to faculty
STARKVILLE — As StatePride continues to gain momentum, the four-year fundraising initiative is providing income for faculty awards and student scholarships at Mississippi State University.
Mississippi State will award $1 million to 400 members of its faculty base in one-time $2,500 financial awards. The awards recognize outstanding performance in keeping with the university’s tri-fold mission of teaching, research and service. Funds immediately available from StatePride also are providing $1 million in student scholarships for the current fall semester.
MSU president Mark E. Keenum said, “Mississippi State’s record enrollment of over 19,600 students means we must continue to gain ground in these crucial areas and retain our distinguished faculty by recognition of their accomplishments and support of their teaching and research endeavors in a time without competitive state salaries.”
StatePride, launched with Keenum’s campus investiture ceremonies in 2009, has raised over $42 million toward its $100-million goal. MSU is in the second year of the four-year effort as it secures private gifts for need-based scholarships for deserving students and academic scholarships to compete for the best and brightest students. StatePride also creates opportunities for top performing faculty to increase their scholarly activities.
The university anticipates faculty award selection for exceptional performance again in 2011.
The StatePride Faculty Award Program will distribute financial awards over the university’s eight academic colleges. Faculty members of MSU-Meridian were eligible to apply through their home college on the Starkville campus. The awards were apportioned on the basis of a college’s number of faculty and that unit’s ability to raise contributions to secure matching funds from MSU athletics. In addition to the 400 college-based awards, the MSU Library selected six StatePride recipients.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41