Land O’ Lakes closing Purina feed mill
LUMBERTON — Land O’ Lakes Purina Feed plant in Lumberton will close Oct. 29, leaving 18 workers without jobs.
Company spokeswoman Jeanne Forbis tells the Hattiesburg American that production and customer service will be moved to other locations, primarily Arcola, La.
The Mississippi plant produces bagged livestock feed — primarily for dairy and beef cattle and horses.
Forbis says the decision to close the plant was based on economic conditions and in response to changing regional market conditions that made the Lumberton plant no longer cost effective to continue to operate.
St. Paul, Minn.-based Land O’ Lakes has operated in Lumberton since 2000 when the company acquired the building from Farmland Industries.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- Jackson’s Landmark Center slated for mixed-use conversion
- Finding your flexible space — Regus banks on high demand for customizable work spaces
- Miss. children's hospital plans $150 million expansion
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs