Land O’ Lakes closing Purina feed mill
LUMBERTON — Land O’ Lakes Purina Feed plant in Lumberton will close Oct. 29, leaving 18 workers without jobs.
Company spokeswoman Jeanne Forbis tells the Hattiesburg American that production and customer service will be moved to other locations, primarily Arcola, La.
The Mississippi plant produces bagged livestock feed — primarily for dairy and beef cattle and horses.
Forbis says the decision to close the plant was based on economic conditions and in response to changing regional market conditions that made the Lumberton plant no longer cost effective to continue to operate.
St. Paul, Minn.-based Land O’ Lakes has operated in Lumberton since 2000 when the company acquired the building from Farmland Industries.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program