U.S. mass layoffs decreased in August
Employers took 1,546 mass layoff actions in August that resulted in the separation of 150,192 workers, seasonally adjusted, as measured by new filings for unemployment insurance benefits during the month, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
Each action involved at least 50 persons from a single employer.
The number of mass layoff events in August decreased by 63 from the prior month, while the number of associated initial claims increased by 6,489.
In August, 403 mass layoff events were reported in the manufacturing sector, seasonally adjusted, resulting in 46,540 initial claims.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money