U.S. mass layoffs decreased in August
Employers took 1,546 mass layoff actions in August that resulted in the separation of 150,192 workers, seasonally adjusted, as measured by new filings for unemployment insurance benefits during the month, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
Each action involved at least 50 persons from a single employer.
The number of mass layoff events in August decreased by 63 from the prior month, while the number of associated initial claims increased by 6,489.
In August, 403 mass layoff events were reported in the manufacturing sector, seasonally adjusted, resulting in 46,540 initial claims.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma