Strike at Mississippi plant impacts OMNOVA’s earnings
OMNOVA Solutions Inc. of Fairlawn, Ohio, reported net income of $3.5 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, for the third quarter ended Aug. 31, 2010, compared to net income of $10.1 million, or $0.23 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2009.
Included in the third quarter of 2010 were non-recurring expenses totaling $6.7 million, including $3.9 million related to a strike at a Decorative Products manufacturing plant in East Mississippi.
On May 20, the Columbus-based United Steelworkers Local 748-L voted against ratification of a new contract proposal and subsequently went on strike May 21. During the quarter, the company’s salaried workforce and contract labor continued to operate the plant and meet customers’ requirements. Late in the quarter, the company transitioned from contract labor to locally hired replacement workers.
As a result, strike-related costs, which were $3.9 million in the third quarter, are expected to decline significantly in the fourth quarter to approximately $0.9 million to $1.2 million, according to OMNOVA.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide