Strike at Mississippi plant impacts OMNOVA’s earnings
OMNOVA Solutions Inc. of Fairlawn, Ohio, reported net income of $3.5 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, for the third quarter ended Aug. 31, 2010, compared to net income of $10.1 million, or $0.23 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2009.
Included in the third quarter of 2010 were non-recurring expenses totaling $6.7 million, including $3.9 million related to a strike at a Decorative Products manufacturing plant in East Mississippi.
On May 20, the Columbus-based United Steelworkers Local 748-L voted against ratification of a new contract proposal and subsequently went on strike May 21. During the quarter, the company’s salaried workforce and contract labor continued to operate the plant and meet customers’ requirements. Late in the quarter, the company transitioned from contract labor to locally hired replacement workers.
As a result, strike-related costs, which were $3.9 million in the third quarter, are expected to decline significantly in the fourth quarter to approximately $0.9 million to $1.2 million, according to OMNOVA.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015