Strike at Mississippi plant impacts OMNOVA’s earnings
OMNOVA Solutions Inc. of Fairlawn, Ohio, reported net income of $3.5 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, for the third quarter ended Aug. 31, 2010, compared to net income of $10.1 million, or $0.23 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2009.
Included in the third quarter of 2010 were non-recurring expenses totaling $6.7 million, including $3.9 million related to a strike at a Decorative Products manufacturing plant in East Mississippi.
On May 20, the Columbus-based United Steelworkers Local 748-L voted against ratification of a new contract proposal and subsequently went on strike May 21. During the quarter, the company’s salaried workforce and contract labor continued to operate the plant and meet customers’ requirements. Late in the quarter, the company transitioned from contract labor to locally hired replacement workers.
As a result, strike-related costs, which were $3.9 million in the third quarter, are expected to decline significantly in the fourth quarter to approximately $0.9 million to $1.2 million, according to OMNOVA.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Nullification and interposition
- Court rules in clinic dispute involving St. Dominic, HMA
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- Commission eyeing unauthorized changes to historic structures
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year