Schools recognized for economic education
Published: October 5,2010
PURVIS — Lamar County School District’s efforts to give students a strong economics background is paying off.
The district has been recognized as a state model for its comprehensive K-12 economics curriculum by the Mississippi Department of Education and the Mississippi Council on Economic Education.
It has received the first Banner School for Financial Readiness Award for teaching economics at every grade level, even to kindergartners.
Superintendent Ben Burnett credited teachers and administrators, past and present, with getting the initiative off the ground and continuing it over the past few years.
The Hattiesburg American reports the Lamar County district began its economics initiative in 2007.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions