Proposal to appeal USM firings under review
by Associated Press
Published: October 7,2010
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) – Appeals begin Oct. 18 for University of Southern Mississippi faculty members who were terminated because of budget cuts, according to a proposal under review by campus groups.
USM Provost Bob Lyman said he sent out the proposal for an appeals committee with faculty representation to various campus constituencies this week.
“Short of a glaring error of some sort that needs to be corrected, I think it’s pretty safe to say we are embarking on this one,” Lyman told the Hattiesburg American.
Campus faculty groups have so far expressed modest support for the proposal. Tammy Greer, the chapter president of the American Association of University Professors, said the proposal doesn’t go far enough in terms of faculty representation.
The appeals committee will be a nine-member body with four deans and five regular faculty members. In the case of each program, the dean from that college will not serve on the committee.
Individual faculty appeals will follow program appeals.
Recommendations on whether to restore programs or the 28 faculty members will be made on a majority vote basis. USM President Martha Saunders will make the final decision on whether to follow the committee’s recommendations.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip