ABA: Most bank customers pay no monthly fees
Source: American Banking Association press release
53% avoid all fees; 67% pay $3 or less
WASHINGTON – The majority of bank customers continue to pay nothing in bank fees, according to a recent survey by the American Bankers Association (ABA). Sixty-seven percent of consumers spend $3 or less in monthly bank fees for services such as checking account maintenance and ATM access. Fifty-three percent of customers pay nothing.
The annual telephone survey of more than 1,000 randomly-selected consumers was conducted for ABA by Ipsos Public Affairs, an independent market research firm, on August 14-15, 2010.
When asked how much they estimate they spend on fees for banking services each month such as checking account maintenance and ATM access, consumers provided the following responses:
· 53 percent said they pay nothing;
· 14 percent said $3 or less;
· 9 percent said $4 to $6;
· 5 percent said $7 to $9; and
· 14 percent said they pay $10 or more.
ABA has conducted the survey annually since 1998.
The ABA offers the following tips to help further reduce consumer banking costs:
· Free Checking and Savings Accounts — Most banks offer them.
· ATM Machines – Avoid fees by using your own bank’s ATM.
· Direct Deposit – Many checking accounts are free when your paycheck is automatically deposited each month.
· Minimum Balance – Keep at least the minimum balance in your account.
· Don’t Overdraw – Keep track of transactions and account balances to avoid bounced check fees.
· Email or Text Alerts — Ask for an automatic alert when your balance falls below a certain level.
The American Bankers Association represents banks of all sizes and charters and is the voice for the nation’s $13 trillion banking industry and its two million employees.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “ABA: Most bank customers pay no monthly fees”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year