Ceres Plantation’s future still in doubt
VICKSBURG — Denial of landmark status for the Ceres Plantation House means Warren County officials must decide whether to raze the structure or preserve it another way.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History trustees this past week rejected the application.
With the landmark tag, any changes to the old house, parts of which date back to the 1830s, and lands would have required MDAH approval.
A drive to protect the two-story structure followed the Warren County Port Commission’s stated desire to tear it down for industrial development.
Officials say the house did not meet the criteria for the landmark designation.
The property is located off Interstate 20 at Flowers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Mars Food to celebrate 35 years in Port City
- Council wants more info on proposed baseball stadium