Ceres Plantation’s future still in doubt
VICKSBURG — Denial of landmark status for the Ceres Plantation House means Warren County officials must decide whether to raze the structure or preserve it another way.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History trustees this past week rejected the application.
With the landmark tag, any changes to the old house, parts of which date back to the 1830s, and lands would have required MDAH approval.
A drive to protect the two-story structure followed the Warren County Port Commission’s stated desire to tear it down for industrial development.
Officials say the house did not meet the criteria for the landmark designation.
The property is located off Interstate 20 at Flowers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate