Ceres Plantation’s future still in doubt
VICKSBURG — Denial of landmark status for the Ceres Plantation House means Warren County officials must decide whether to raze the structure or preserve it another way.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History trustees this past week rejected the application.
With the landmark tag, any changes to the old house, parts of which date back to the 1830s, and lands would have required MDAH approval.
A drive to protect the two-story structure followed the Warren County Port Commission’s stated desire to tear it down for industrial development.
Officials say the house did not meet the criteria for the landmark designation.
The property is located off Interstate 20 at Flowers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)