Ceres Plantation’s future still in doubt
VICKSBURG — Denial of landmark status for the Ceres Plantation House means Warren County officials must decide whether to raze the structure or preserve it another way.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History trustees this past week rejected the application.
With the landmark tag, any changes to the old house, parts of which date back to the 1830s, and lands would have required MDAH approval.
A drive to protect the two-story structure followed the Warren County Port Commission’s stated desire to tear it down for industrial development.
Officials say the house did not meet the criteria for the landmark designation.
The property is located off Interstate 20 at Flowers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue