Black bear chosen for Ole Miss mascot
by Associated Press
Published: October 14,2010
The announcement came Thursday after a campuswide vote in February and months of polling.
The final three choices were a land shark, a bear and the personification of the school cheer “Hotty Toddy.” The bear received 62 percent of the vote in the final poll.
Ole Miss has struggled for years with how to retain its tradition while shedding symbols of the Old South.
In 1997, the school ended the waving of Confederate flags at sporting events. Last year, the band stopped playing a fight song to discourage the fan chant, “The South will rise again.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Black bear chosen for Ole Miss mascot”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!