Black bear chosen for Ole Miss mascot
Published: October 14,2010
The announcement came Thursday after a campuswide vote in February and months of polling.
The final three choices were a land shark, a bear and the personification of the school cheer “Hotty Toddy.” The bear received 62 percent of the vote in the final poll.
Ole Miss has struggled for years with how to retain its tradition while shedding symbols of the Old South.
In 1997, the school ended the waving of Confederate flags at sporting events. Last year, the band stopped playing a fight song to discourage the fan chant, “The South will rise again.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Black bear chosen for Ole Miss mascot”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge