Black bear chosen for Ole Miss mascot
Published: October 14,2010
The announcement came Thursday after a campuswide vote in February and months of polling.
The final three choices were a land shark, a bear and the personification of the school cheer “Hotty Toddy.” The bear received 62 percent of the vote in the final poll.
Ole Miss has struggled for years with how to retain its tradition while shedding symbols of the Old South.
In 1997, the school ended the waving of Confederate flags at sporting events. Last year, the band stopped playing a fight song to discourage the fan chant, “The South will rise again.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Black bear chosen for Ole Miss mascot”
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Tax slasher productions comes to Mississippi
- Status of some bills in the Mississippi Legislature
- Proposed ammo ban empties shelves
- Locker doors opening for Clinton inventor after ‘Shark Tank’
- Hattiesburg wastewater treatment system could cost $152M
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- BILL CRAWFORD: Gunn steals tax cut spotlight
- Longtime Biloxi mayor Holloway resigns
- Columbus-built Airbus gets FAA airworthiness approval